We’re at the height of flu season here in the U.S., so I knew that I would need to take extra special care of my immune system when I arrived. Traveling makes us more susceptible to cold and flu viruses, so there are a few things that I made sure to prioritize as I got settled in LA.
- Eat well-balanced meals. Include lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, fish, eggs, and lean protein. Cut back on mucous-forming foods like dairy and sugar.
- Take your vitamins. I recommend a daily vitamin C around 2g, but if you feel the flu coming on increase this to around 4g/day plus 30-50mg zinc. Also, take a good quality fish oil (2-4g) daily plus a high strength probiotic before breakfast and before bed.
- Stay hydrated! Drink at least 2 liters of filtered water every day. While I am missing my Zip HydroTap here in my LA kitchen, I am still making water a high priority. Staying hydrated is critical to both fight off the flu and recover more quickly.
- Rest! 8 hours of sleep is a non-negotiable for fighting off the flu. Remember, a rested body is a healthy body.
- Stress less. I recommend at least 20 minutes a day in the Stress Free Zone every day. That time to yourself away from technology and other demands does wonders for your overall wellness. I love to relax while putting my legs up the wall – it really helps center me.