After returning from a month away for my wedding and honeymoon, it was important to me to embrace a daily routine. I had the time of my life in paradise, and I was also excited about returning home with Dean to start our life as husband and wife. Settling back at home after a holiday, whether it’s just a few days or several weeks, isn’t easy. But these tips have helped me get back into my healthy routine.
1. Unpack right away. It’s tempting to drop your bags and avoid them – believe me, I know! But unpacking, washing and putting away your things as soon as possible will get you settled back at home so much faster. You’ll have lots of things to do, but don’t let this chore be one of them or you’ll be digging around in your bag for weeks! Plus, you’ll come across little mementos and memories from your holiday that will be so much fun to reflect on.
2. Establish a yoga routine. My body always craves yoga after traveling. I make an effort to get right back into a class schedule or yoga session with my family, but if time doesn’t allow right away I make a point to practice at home. It feels delicious, but it also helps me center and focus as I get back to daily life.
3. Get back into the kitchen. One of the things I miss the most when I’m away from home! I was grateful to experience the best of the best meals while on my honeymoon, but I so love creating in the kitchen. Look to your return home as a chance to experiment with renewed excitement. Try out some of the local flavours you experienced on your trip, whip up old favourites, or give a few new dishes a try (The Healthy Life has loads of fun recipes). But I encourage you to take the time to prepare and eat meals at home.
4. Hydrate. Let’s be honest – drinking water probably isn’t your biggest priority on holiday. Even with the best of intentions to keep up that healthy habit, there has undoubtedly been less water and more adult beverages sneaking in! Between that and your travels home, combined with jetlag, your body is craving some serious hydration. I’m always happy to come home to my Zip Hydrotap, which is the easiest way in the world to have fresh, filtered water right at your fingertips. I love the temperature feature – instant boiling water for my morning lemon water, and chilled to fill up my water bottle and take with me wherever I go. Good habits back home!
5. Reflect on your travels. This has become huge for me. As you’ve seen in some recent posts about my honeymoon, I’ve been thinking about what I’ll bring home with me from each experience. This is a great way to honour the holiday and also incorporate some of the peace and relaxation (or even a new hobby) into your daily life.
For more travel tips, you can have a look at the JSHealth Travel Plan here.
Hi Jessica, I believe in synchronicity so when I was guided to you .on FB I was intrigued and inspired. I turned 46 last week and my husband bought me your book. I wanted to thank you for sharing your wisdom in such a beautifully presented way. My copy is now filled with tabs and post it notes with actual notes throughout. I am dairy intolerant since having my gallbladder removed 15+ years ago, I don't eat meat, very minimal gluten and was told 12 months ago my gut was not digesting my food properly so I wasn't receiving sufficient nutrients and taking supplements would be a waste of time. My weight fluctuates tending to gain rather than lose but now I believe I have a tool to help me bring my body back into balance that I need for my health and longevity of life - so again thank you. The first few steps to creating a stronger path forward for my health has found its foundation in your beautiful book, The Healthy Life.
With kindest regards Samantha
I'm writing this email because I wanted to tell you how much I love your blog and how you really helped me in my health journey. Thank you for sharing all your advices and experiences.
When I started my studies, I was drinking lots of coffee and I was eaten the wrong foods, and feel bad about it, I wasn't at my best. So I had done some research on the net but at first I didn't found advices that are for me, and then I found your blog. It was exactly what I was looking for, good advices and healthy recipes. Now I'm following your advices on rest more, and snacks between meals and prep the meals and take time for myself to reconnect with my body and let go my anxiety, etc, and I have a more balanced life and have a new relationship with food thanks to you.
I bought your book and it's honestly the best book I have ever bought. I suffer from IBS and anxiety. I have paid so much money seeing naturopaths however after reading your book and all of your tips I'm noticing so much of a difference, so simple and easy to follow. And symptoms have dramatically decreased. Also you have helped me to relax. Currently drinking the protein health smoothie! Thankyou your amazing.
Hey Jessica! I haven’t yet brought ‘The Healthy Life’, but I do have the clean life and your slim down plan! I would like to thank you so much for the knowledge your share and the message you put across about health and wellness. I’m studying Nutritional Medicine in Melbourne and absolutely love the philosophy that you share with your JSHealth community. The work you’ve done to show people that leading a healthy lifestyle isn’t boring, tasteless, difficult or depriving is amazing and hope to share the message myself one day. You’ve inspired me to start my own blog , to share the message and have taught me so many things about my own health! You should be proud of your achievements! Thank you again
I searched for help and tips through the Internet and found Jessica Sepel. This is seriously not exaggerated, but she was the reason why I have dared myself to eat again, to have snacks in between, to nourish my body. I could slowly improve my negative thoughts about my body image and my stupid anxiety of gaining weight. Besides, The Cleanest Gut was awesome too! A huge thank you! Especially from my mum. Seriously, without you I wouldn’t be where I am now!
Congratulations on your new book! It looks absolutely gorgeous. I’ve been following you on Instagram for a few years and you’ve inspired me to slowly but surely eat healthier without giving myself a hard time when I don’t. It made me so happy (and weirdly proud) to see the Daily Mail article on The Healthy Life. I remember trying out your recipes before you even had your eBook out! I can’t wait to get my hands on the book. Keep up the great work.
Cooking in this way truly brought out the foodie in me and has instilled a huge passion for health and wellness! Life throws you hard and frustrating things sometimes but I truly believe that this is where we learn more about ourselves and what our passions in life are! Thank you for inspiring me on my journey to health and wellness!
I am a yoga teacher in Johannesburg and am thrilled to have bought your book today. I love making healthy, nutritious food for my family, friends and fellow yogis! Thank you for this book and your inspiration (had to share a pic of my book on my recipe stand in the kitchen).
I bought your beautiful book during the week and told my bestie to go out and buy it also! I love love love it. It is the book I would give to my younger self if I could (I am 41 years old). Everything is just so sensible and informative and is definitely a book all teenagers should have. This should be a text book for girls becoming teens. I will love going back and re-reading it many many times and can't wait to make more of the recipes. Thank you Jess - you are an incredibly inspiring woman and you should feel so proud
My fiancé bought your book and we have cooked some of your meals. Amazing! I love your outlook on a healthy lifestyle and your hints and tips with preparing tasty meals are fantastic. Thanks for reviving us to live a healthier lifestyle and get our bodies wedding ready.
I want to empower you to make good choices, every day. I want you to enhance your understanding of health and nutrition. I'm committed to making sure you live the best life. Because you deserve it. Are you ready to start feeling great?
Let me know your email address so I can send you an eBook '7 Days on my plate' - a little gift from me to you!