When I was in L.A. recently, I had the pleasure meeting holistic nutritionist and cleanse expert, Elissa Goodman. While she was sitting across from me and telling me how she healed her cancer through cleansing and overhauling her lifestyle, I couldn’t help but wonder how her skin was so radiant. When I asked her how old she was, and she said 54 years old, I was blown away! I had to know immediately how she keeps her skin so young, vibrant, and radiant. She told me her five best tips and I want to give them to you. Take it away, Elissa!
1. Superfoods. If Wonder Woman could only eat one thing, it would be superfoods! She would fly higher, run faster, and be stronger than ever before! That’s because superfoods have the most amount of nutrients and benefits packed into a small amount of food. Ladies, we don’t just want to survive, it’s time for us to thrive and superfoods give us everything our body needs to thrive! My favorite superfoods are spirulina, goji berries, maca, hemp seeds, chia seeds, reishi, and camu camu. I wrote a whole blog post on it here.
2. From the Inside Out. The appearance of your skin is nothing more than an out picturing of inner health. Rather than focusing what creams I put on the outside of my skin, I focus on what I’m putting in my body, because that is what shows up on my face. Staying hydrated is key as are vitamins B, C, and E as they boost collagen production, rebuild and repair skin tissue, oxygenate the skin, and decrease free radical cellular damage. Beta carotenes and omega’s also increase collagen production, increase elasticity, and create a glowing skin tone. You shouldn’t ignore the benefit of essential minerals for good skin health; selenium, zinc, iron, and sulphur also enhance the appearance of skin. Drinking natural ingredients of rosewater, coconut milk, aloe vera, and essential oils show up directly my face. These ideas come from ancient Ayurveda principles, that have been proven for thousands of years! Check out more of my favorite Ayurveda ideas here.
3. Bed by 10pm. In our culture, we are all working so hard. It’s this go-go mentality and it’s impressive to accomplish a lot on only a few hours of sleep! But, that has to STOP. The amount of sleep we get is directly correlated with our body’s ability to heal and repair. Not getting enough sleep is like working out really hard without stretching!! Your body needs at least 8-9 hours of sleep every single night. You need to sleep to have the healthy glow and vibrancy in your skin! The best hours for sleep are between 10pm to 2am, because, biologically we reset our inner clocks between 10pm and 2am and those four hours are vital. Have your fun, but save it for the weekend – make it a work week goal to be in bed by 10pm!
4. Feel your feelings. Work out your emotional stuff. Take the time to talk out your feelings. Don’t let your emotions get trapped in your body, when emotions get trapped in your body, it shows directly on your skin. Have you seen someone that just looks like they have a lot of pent up emotion on their face? This literally changes your facial muscles, and not for the better! I always say, “try to be okay with not being okay”. Give yourself permission to feel when things aren’t going so great and let it be okay that you’re not feeling okay. My favorite ways to process emotions are to work out, go to therapy, get into a meditation class, talk to friends, reach out to my mentors, and to give to others! When I reach out and offer something to others and truly focus on what I can give, I feel an endorphin release and quickly find my happiness again.
5. Get back to your gut. Gut health is the cornerstone of your entire wellness. If you’re not digesting and fully absorbing the nutrients of your foods, the lack of nutrients will show up on your skin. We need to help our gut to digest properly. We can take probiotics, eat well-rounded range of fermented foods (from kombucha and coconut water kefir to pickled veggies and sauerkraut), and add a good digestive enzymes into our routines. The food that we’re eating on a daily basis is complicated for our bodies to digest. Wouldn’t you rather spend the energy we expend on working so hard to digest our food and use it on keeping our skin fresh and renewed instead?
*BONUS* If you need an extra anti-aging boost for your skin, I recommend gliSODin Skin Nutrients, because they contain Superocide Dismutase, a powerful enzyme that repairs cells and reduces cellular damage. This product contains Krill Oil (a high source of Omega 3’s), Red Clover for natural antioxidants, Cocoa, and Hyaluronic Acid. Taken in capsule form, this combination works on existing fine lines and wrinkles and maintains the health of your skin by providing added elasticity, hydration and a glowing skin tone!
Elissa Goodman is a holistic nutritionist and cleanse expert based in Los Angeles. Elissa discovered that food and self-love was the key to health and happiness from a bout in her thirties with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. She espouses a clean, preservative-free diet-filled with fresh produce and high quality products-and emphasizes the importance of daily de-stressing activities including soul searching. In addition to running her practice servicing clients, Elissa is the creator of the RESET Your Life with cleanse programs at the most well respected health-oriented eatery M Cafe and Elissa designs her own specialized juices for Erewhon Natural Market.
Hi Jessica, I believe in synchronicity so when I was guided to you .on FB I was intrigued and inspired. I turned 46 last week and my husband bought me your book. I wanted to thank you for sharing your wisdom in such a beautifully presented way. My copy is now filled with tabs and post it notes with actual notes throughout. I am dairy intolerant since having my gallbladder removed 15+ years ago, I don't eat meat, very minimal gluten and was told 12 months ago my gut was not digesting my food properly so I wasn't receiving sufficient nutrients and taking supplements would be a waste of time. My weight fluctuates tending to gain rather than lose but now I believe I have a tool to help me bring my body back into balance that I need for my health and longevity of life - so again thank you. The first few steps to creating a stronger path forward for my health has found its foundation in your beautiful book, The Healthy Life.
With kindest regards Samantha
I'm writing this email because I wanted to tell you how much I love your blog and how you really helped me in my health journey. Thank you for sharing all your advices and experiences.
When I started my studies, I was drinking lots of coffee and I was eaten the wrong foods, and feel bad about it, I wasn't at my best. So I had done some research on the net but at first I didn't found advices that are for me, and then I found your blog. It was exactly what I was looking for, good advices and healthy recipes. Now I'm following your advices on rest more, and snacks between meals and prep the meals and take time for myself to reconnect with my body and let go my anxiety, etc, and I have a more balanced life and have a new relationship with food thanks to you.
I bought your book and it's honestly the best book I have ever bought. I suffer from IBS and anxiety. I have paid so much money seeing naturopaths however after reading your book and all of your tips I'm noticing so much of a difference, so simple and easy to follow. And symptoms have dramatically decreased. Also you have helped me to relax. Currently drinking the protein health smoothie! Thankyou your amazing.
Hey Jessica! I haven’t yet brought ‘The Healthy Life’, but I do have the clean life and your slim down plan! I would like to thank you so much for the knowledge your share and the message you put across about health and wellness. I’m studying Nutritional Medicine in Melbourne and absolutely love the philosophy that you share with your JSHealth community. The work you’ve done to show people that leading a healthy lifestyle isn’t boring, tasteless, difficult or depriving is amazing and hope to share the message myself one day. You’ve inspired me to start my own blog , to share the message and have taught me so many things about my own health! You should be proud of your achievements! Thank you again
I searched for help and tips through the Internet and found Jessica Sepel. This is seriously not exaggerated, but she was the reason why I have dared myself to eat again, to have snacks in between, to nourish my body. I could slowly improve my negative thoughts about my body image and my stupid anxiety of gaining weight. Besides, The Cleanest Gut was awesome too! A huge thank you! Especially from my mum. Seriously, without you I wouldn’t be where I am now!
Congratulations on your new book! It looks absolutely gorgeous. I’ve been following you on Instagram for a few years and you’ve inspired me to slowly but surely eat healthier without giving myself a hard time when I don’t. It made me so happy (and weirdly proud) to see the Daily Mail article on The Healthy Life. I remember trying out your recipes before you even had your eBook out! I can’t wait to get my hands on the book. Keep up the great work.
Cooking in this way truly brought out the foodie in me and has instilled a huge passion for health and wellness! Life throws you hard and frustrating things sometimes but I truly believe that this is where we learn more about ourselves and what our passions in life are! Thank you for inspiring me on my journey to health and wellness!
I am a yoga teacher in Johannesburg and am thrilled to have bought your book today. I love making healthy, nutritious food for my family, friends and fellow yogis! Thank you for this book and your inspiration (had to share a pic of my book on my recipe stand in the kitchen).
I bought your beautiful book during the week and told my bestie to go out and buy it also! I love love love it. It is the book I would give to my younger self if I could (I am 41 years old). Everything is just so sensible and informative and is definitely a book all teenagers should have. This should be a text book for girls becoming teens. I will love going back and re-reading it many many times and can't wait to make more of the recipes. Thank you Jess - you are an incredibly inspiring woman and you should feel so proud
My fiancé bought your book and we have cooked some of your meals. Amazing! I love your outlook on a healthy lifestyle and your hints and tips with preparing tasty meals are fantastic. Thanks for reviving us to live a healthier lifestyle and get our bodies wedding ready.
I want to empower you to make good choices, every day. I want you to enhance your understanding of health and nutrition. I'm committed to making sure you live the best life. Because you deserve it. Are you ready to start feeling great?
Let me know your email address so I can send you an eBook '7 Days on my plate' - a little gift from me to you!