To celebrate the launch of The Healthy Life in the UK, I’m sharing one of my favourite recipes from the book – the JSHealth Signature Gluten Free Loaf.
You can find the book at: Amazon, ASDA, Blackwells, Book Depository, Foyles, Gardners Books, IE Argosy, IE Dubray Books, WHSmith, Waterstones and all other good bookstores in the UK (as well as all good bookstores in Australia, or via my online store: The Healthy Life!)
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1/2 cup LSA or ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup crushed almonds
- 1/4 cup psyllium husk
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1 tbsp slivered almonds (to decorate)
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp virgin organic coconut oil
- 1/3 cup milk or Almond Milk
- olive oil (to serve)
- Preheat the oven to 180C or 160C fan-forced
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients except the slivered almonds
- Whisk all the wet ingredients together in a measuring cup
- Slowly add the wet mixture to the dry, stirring until everything is well combined. If the batter is too wet, add extra almond meal; if it is too dry, add more almond milk.
- Lightly oil a standard loaf tin (approximately 21cm x 11cm) with coconut oil spray, then coat liberally with extra almond meal to prevent it from sticking. Spoon the batter into the tin, sprinkle the top with the almonds and place in the preheated oven.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes. To check if it’s cooked, insert a skewer into the middle of the loaf. If the skewer comes out dry, it’s done. If the top is starting to brown, cover with foil and continue baking until the loaf feels more solid than normal bread.
- When cooked, remove the loaf from the oven and cool in the tin. Remove the loaf and slice. Serve with olive oil.
- Keep covered in the fridge for up to one week. It also freezes well.
Makes 1 loaf
More variations: (details in The Healthy Life)
- Zucchini Loaf
- Carrot and walnut Loaf
- Date and Coconut Loaf